Powerful images documented by Mr. Kufeld of the civil war; the book of images named El Salvador was published in 1990.
For more images, please refer to website:
El Salvador Flag:
The flag of El Salvador consists of three equal horizontal stripes:
- the top and bottom stripes are blue
- the middle stripe is white
- Within the middle of El Salvador’s flag is the country’s coat of arms
El Salvador Flag Meaning:
- Blue stripes represent the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea
- White stripe symbolizes peace
- State coat of arms on El Salvador’s flag is based on the coat of arms of the former United Provinces of Central America
- Its triangle represents equality and the three branches of El Salvador’s government
- The five volcanoes within the flag symbolizes the five former members of the federation, flanked by the blue of the ocean and sea
- Triangle contains symbols of liberty, ideals of the people and peace, which are represented by a red cap, golden rays, rainbow, and the date that El Salvador gained independence from Spain
- Underneath the triangle lies El Salvador’s national motto which translates in English to ‘God, Union and Liberty’
- Fourteen clusters of leaves represent the 14 departments or states of El Salvador
The El Salvador flag was adopted on September 27, 1972. El Salvador, which in Spanish means ‘the savior’, gained its independence from Spain on September 15, 1821 and independence from the Central American federation in 1842.
Interesting El Salvador Flag Facts:
The flag of El Salvador is based on the flag of the United States of Central America.
Unauthorized use of the El Salvador flag will result in a monetary fine.
Please refer to this website for more information:
On this website you will find information on El Salvadoran culture. Please feel free to browse and learn about the Salvadoran way of life!